Sunday, September 13, 2009

Running With The Devil... or at least with my iPod.

Today I participated in the Queen City Marathon as part of a relay team. A lot of my friends think I'm crazy for running but I find it to be one of the most relaxing, healthy and stress reducing activities I can do. Next to being on a stage or at an amazing concert, running is the best natural high I can experience. However, running requires motivation and a main factor that keeps me running year after year is that it gives me a prime opportunity to drown out the world and listen to music. And choosing some bitchin' tunes to throw on my iPod is essential to the running experience. So here are some of my favourite tunes that get me cranked up while hitting the pavement.


Frank Black - "Headache"

This insanely catchy song from The Pixies main man always puts a smile on my face with its bouncy guitars and stream of conscious lyrics. Frank Black is the man.



Tom Petty - "You Wreck Me"

Tom Petty is one of the most consistent artists in rock n' roll and this simple, driving tune from Wallflowers is the perfect song to start a run with.



The Primitives - "Crash"

This one hit wonder is my idea of a perfect song. Great hook, fun, uptempo. Plus it always reminds me of Dumb and Dumber.



Ramones - "I Don't Wanna Grow Up"

The Ramones covering Tom Waits. Enough said.



Motley Crue - "Kickstart My Heart"

I pride myself on being a music snob but Radiohead just doesn't quite cut it for running.



Robin Black - "Why Don't You Love Me?"

It probably sounds bizarre to have a glam rocker on my list but Robin Black is now a MMA fighter and he could definitely kick my ass. I'm a huge fan of Robin and his band but this song just erupts and leaps out of speakers and headphones.



The Black Halos - "Some Things Never Fall"

Trashy, sleazy punk rock from one of Canada's most underrated bands. In a perfect world they would be huge. Unfortunately, our world is pretty messed up so we have to suffer with Nickelback.



R.E.M. - "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)"

No matter what mood I am in, this song always puts me in a good mood. This song basically says, "Life sucks, but we're all in it together so we might as well make the most of it." This is perfect for getting in the right frame of mind for running.



So there you go. If you see me running around Wascana Park and I am not responding to your wave or "hello" it is because I am zoning out and listening to my tunes. I may be a music snob but I am not regular snob. ;-)


...submitted by JJ

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome!! I doubt my list would be much different. Maybe some Danko or Wildhearts but not much different none the less. You definitely picked some gooders!!

    ReplyDelete