Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Flaming Lips - "Watching The Planets"


The Flaming Lips are a band I appreciate more than I actually like. I only own one album, 2008's At War With The Mystics, and think it is mostly self-indulgent psychedelia. However, I hear that that was the wrong album to get properly introduced to the trippy world of The Flaming Lips. One thing I will give them credit for is that they are never boring. Their live show is legendary, particularly Wayne Coyne walking over the crowd inside an oversized bubble. Plus, any band that backed up Beck on a tour is ok in my books.

Well The Flaming Lips have another album that just came out, Embryonic, that is getting some mixed reviews. This is probably due to that fact that it's a double album... That is probably way too much weirdness in one sitting for my liking.

However, at their best, The Flaming Lips are one of the most fun and adventurous bands out there. Probably because they are so" out there." Case in point is the first single and video from Embryonic, :Watching The Planets." I first heard this song when The Lips performed on Letterman or Conan. It was an absolutely stunning performance of a killer tune.

I saw the video for the first time a couple days ago and it is hands down the craziest, trippiest video I have ever seen. It's as if the promo posters for Queen's "Bicycle Race" came to life while you are tripping on magic mushrooms. It truly has to be seen to be believed. There are naked people riding bicycles. There are naked people coming out of some sort of embryo/vagine that looks like something out of Where The Wild Things Are. And Wayne Coyne even whips out his roll of "coynes" for all the world to see, which takes a lot of balls. (So needless to say, this video is VERY NSFW!!!!!)

You can check out the video exclusively at NME. Don't say I didn't warn you.




...submitted by JJ


No comments:

Post a Comment