Tuesday, December 22, 2009

JJ Ramone's Top 25 Albums of 2009 #'s 25-11

2009 was a fantastic year for music. Of course you had to wade through a lot of shite and drivel to find most of the good stuff but there were tons of options for people of all tastes (and lack thereof). Usually it's pretty easy for me to narrow my "album of the year" choice to one or two albums. However, this year proved to be quite difficult for me because there were some absolutely stellar releases by some incredible bands at the top of their games. Every album in my top 5 could potentially be my favourite of the year depending on my mood, but due to the nature of these lists I will designate numbers.

Year-end lists are primarily meant to spark discussion and encourage people to go back and take a chance on some music they either overlooked or never had a chance to sink their teeth into earlier in the year. I aim to do the same with my list. What impressed me was that I had a lot of trouble narrowing down my list to 25. Sadly, there were some worthy albums that were just on the cusp of making this very influential and esteemed list. ;-)

My list is by no means definitive. I have probably listened to more music this year than I ever have in my life but I know I have to check out albums by the likes of The Dead Weather, Dinosaur Jr., The Monsters of Folk, and The Flaming Lips, to name a few. So with all of this in mind I give unto you, our loyal and devoted audience, a humble scribe's picks for Top 25 Albums of 2009. Enjoy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


25. Scatterheart - The Masterpan
24. Steve Earle - Townes
23. Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You
22. Ohbijou - Beacons
21. Bat For Lashes - Two Suns
20. Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
19. The Deep Dark Woods - Winter Hours
18. Amy Millan - Masters Of The Buriel
17. The Minus 5 - Killingsworth
16. Bruce Springsteen - Working On A Dream
15. Melissa McClelland - Victoria Day
14. Spinnerette - Spinnerette
13. Franz Ferdinand - Tonight: Franz Ferdinand
12. Jarvis Cocker - Further Complications
11. Bif Naked - Purge

No comments:

Post a Comment