Monday, August 24, 2009

A Chat With... Melissa Mannett


This Wednesday, August 26 at the Riddell Centre is a great chance to see a handful of local acts showcasing their own material. The lineup is about as diverse as you can get. There literally is something for everyone. The bill consists of JJ Voss (country/roots/rock), The League of One (progressive/metal), Melissa Mannett (pop) and Casey Stone (blues/rock). And all proceeds go towards cancer research so you really can’t go wrong!


I had a chance to catch up with one of the performers on the bill, Melissa Mannett. Melissa is currently enjoying a brush with fame since her song “Falling” has been getting some serious airplay on Z99, having been voted onto the Top 6 at 6 for a couple weeks in a row.



1. First things first... How cool is it to hear your song on the radio?


It’s unreal! I feel so lucky to hear my song right in there with Kelly Clarkson and Lady Gaga!



2. “Falling” is a song that has been kicking around for a few years. Can you explain the song’s origins?


Well, I was actually on a vacation in Greece in 2006 when I had the Lyric and melody ideas for the song. It’s another silly girly song about miscommunication in relationships and all sorts of emotions I was feeling about a boy, haha. So I took my ideas to Brad Prosko at B-rad studio, and we created the song ‘Falling’ which won a VH-1 songwriting award in 2007 and is now being played on Z99 here in Regina!



3. What was the first album you ever bought? Do you still own it?


I believe the first album I ever purchased on my own was ‘Jagged Little Pill’ by Alanis Morissette, on tape. And yes, I know exactly where it is!!



4. On your myspace page you do an interesting version of The Beatles’ “Eleanor Rigby.” Do you prefer Lennon or McCartney? And why?


Sir James Paul McCartney can have my vote for being a pop music songwriting genius! That guy knows how to write a sing-a-long!



5. What artist’s career would you most like to emulate, given the chance?


Alecia Moore, a.k.a. P!nk, has been a huge influence on my development as an artist. She is the real deal! I would be honored to be compared to her in any way.



6. While you are promoting yourself as a solo artist, you still masquerade (or should it be “Mascara”de?) as the singer in a local cover band Mascara. What do you find to be the biggest difference between performing your own songs as opposed to covers?


Well, honestly, I think the biggest difference right now is the way my confidence level changes! It’s risky business introducing an original song into a set of top 40 covers! However, when the crowd stays interested and keeps dancing, or even singing along, it’s the greatest satisfaction I think I’ve ever felt!!




http://www.myspace.com/melissamannett




...submitted by JJ





No comments:

Post a Comment